LIFE SCIENCE LEARNING TARGETS 2015-2016
Natural Systems (Quarter 1)
1. I can identify parts of an ecosystem.
2. I can trace the flow of matter in an ecosystem.
3. I can describe where energy is changed & stored in a food web
4. I can analyze the effect of biotic & abiotic factors on the number of organisms in a MN ecosystem.
5. I can describe the impact of human activities on an ecosystem.
Diversity (Quarter 1 & 2)
6. I can explain why some organisms are more likely to survive & have offspring.
7. I can explain the relationships between the characteristics of an organism and its genes
8. I can explain the relationships between the characteristics of an organism and the environment
9. I can use the features of several organisms to hypothesize how closely the organisms are related.
Physical Properties of Matter (Quarter 2)
10. I can use appropriate safety procedures, tools, & measurements.
11. I can classify substances based on their physical properties.
12. I can explain physical changes in matter using the particle model.
Mixtures and Solutions (Quarter 3)
1. I can distinguish a mixture from a pure substance by comparing physical properties.
2. I can plan and conduct a controlled experiment.
3. . I can create a scientific explanation from the data.
Elements, Compounds & Chemical Reactions (Quarter 3)
4. I can explain the Atomic Theory of Matter
5 I can distinguish physical and chemical changes to matter.
6. I can describe the chemical and physical properties of acids.
7. I can explain the Law of Conservation of Mass using the Particle Model of Matter.
Structure and Function of Living Systems (Quarter 4)
8. I can explain how cell structure is related to its function.
9. I can describe interactions between organ systems in
a multicellular organism.
10. I can describe how microbes are harmful and helpful.
11. I can explain how the immune system protects humans from
12. I can describe how humans prevent and treat infectious disease
In addition to the above learning targets, the following work habits will be evaluated: