Specific information about the Physical Science Course
· There is a pre-assessment administered to all 8th graders in May.
· The pre-assessment contains questions about the high school standards embedded in the Physical Science course.
- Physical Science teachers will use the data from the pre-assessment to inform instruction. This data will be available to teachers in mid-September.
- Scores from the pre-assessment do not impact students’ science grades in any way.
- Any student who demonstrates proficiency on the pre-assessment receives credit for Physical Science and is enrolled in another course within the science sequence.
- There are issues with enrolling a 9th grade student in a science course other than Physical Science.
“Satisfactorily complete the state course credit requirements under Minnesota Statutes, section 120B.024 AND satisfactorily complete all state academic standards or local academic standards”
- Last year, there were only seven 8th graders across all of Minneapolis Public Schools who passed the pre-assessment in the Spring which could lead to skipping Physical Science in the 9th grade year if they chose.
- Regardless of high school choice or class taken as a 9th grader, all students will recieve a high-quality high school Science experience from trained and experienced staff.
This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
1 West 49th Street Minneapolis, MN 55419
Telephone: 612.668.4040 | Fax: 612.668.4050